Hot Like The Sun, Pretty Like A Flower
A flora beloved by Vincent van Gogh and Jacquemus alike.
Flower Of The Month is a monthly column dedicated to highlighting one flower per month.
Welcome back to Flower of the Month, where we pick one flower to celebrate, embody, and sometimes even eat. In case you forgot, we love flowers — in the literal sense and in art form, on our clothing, as shapes in the clouds, etc., etc. If you don’t fawn over flora and fauna that hard yet, try it out, it’ll make you happy.
A cousin of the artichoke (which some may argue is a flower in a sense!), July's celebrated bloom is edible, hairy, and can grow to great heights — the tallest one in the world grew to over 30 feet tall! Also known as Kansas' state flower, van Gogh’s preferred specimen, and one Jacquemus loves to put on his cute 'lil summer shirts, it is native to North and South America and is a summer annual, meaning it completes its life cycle in the summer season. It is as edible as they come and is often used for dye (yellow, specifically), cooking oil, and (spoiler alert) its seeds are a delicious snack. Also, there’s a great Danish menswear brand named after this bud. Are you there yet?
It’s the sunflower, duh. These bad boys love the sun so much that they literally turn to face ita ll day long. You know that cheesy but true Walt Whitman quote that says, “Keep your face always toward the sun and the shadows will fall behind you,”? Well, that’s what sunflowers do! Let them set an example for you this summer.
And, get into Sunflower Mode while you’re at it. Below.
- Red Watering Can: First thing's first: You gotta water your buds. This red watering can makes that task more fun.
- Sunflower Choker: Because if you can be a sunchoke, wear a sunflower choker.
- Plant your own!: Because you can!
- Bode Sunflower Shirt: If you're going to dress for the part it might as well be in a Bode sunflower shirt.
- Jil Sander Midi Skirt: You know what would be really crazy? Pairing that Bode shirt with this Jil Sander skirt.
- Vintage Sunflower Tie: This is hot. Hotter than the SUN(flower).
- Yellow Julian Klincewicz Vans: One of my all-time favorite vans collabs. In sunflower yellow.
- Jacquemus Sunflower Shirt: A classique cool cute and perfect shirt.
- Etsy Ceramic Flower Mug: I love her.
- Vintage Kansas Shirt: One of my BFFs, Evan, is from Kansas. So naturally I had to ask him to contribute a sunflower item, and he picked this one.
- Vincent van Gogh Sunflower Book: It's rare, it's good, and it belongs on your bookshelf.